Do you have trouble falling asleep? Thankfully, Bustle has compiled a list of eight mental tricks that might help you fall asleep if counting sheep doesn't cut it for you.
Here they are:
- Count backward. Pick a random high number, and count backward from there.
- Try to stay awake. Use reverse psychology and tell your mind to stay awake.
- Do a “brain dump.” Write down all your thoughts in a journal before bed to get them out of your head.
- Do the 4-7-8 breathing exercise. Inhale through your nose while counting to four, hold your breath for a count of seven, then exhale through your mouth for a count of eight.
- Squeeze and relax your muscles. Starting from your head down to your toes, tighten each muscle for three to five counts, and then relax it.
- Make a mental gratitude list. Count all of the things you are grateful for that brought contentment to your day.
- Create a mnemonic to-do list. For example, if you need to Call your mom, Ask a client to pay their overdue balance, Look for the perfect lingerie to wear for the weekend, and Make an appointment with your dentist, then remember the mnemonic C.A.L.M.
- Picture a happy scene. Along with calming you down, this visualization may even help give you pleasant dreams.